The Wedding Biz – 369 REVISIT: RON BEN-ISRAEL – Answering the Call of Creativity with Couture Cakes
To Ron Ben-Israel, a cake is far more than a cake. It’s equal to a performance. And if anyone knows about performance, it’s surprisingly the master of couture celebration cakes.
After graduating college with a Fine Arts degree, Ron saw the world through two distinct lenses: the Israeli military, and a ballet company he joined after serving in his early 20’s. He traveled around the world, performing with two companies over nearly 15 years before finding himself in New York City and wanting to make a career transition. This is where he began to discover his talent for baking.
From never having baked a professional cake to founding Ron Ben-Israel Cakes, Ron shares the path and experiences that got him there. His practical and disciplined approach to growth illustrates the level of passion, dedication, and humble learning that successful pastry chefs possess.
About Ron Ben-Israel
Ron Ben-Israel is a renowned pastry chef originally from Israel and currently based in New York.
Ron is the founder of Ron Ben-Israel Cakes, where he and his team create delectable cakes for luxury events. From 2011-2013 hosted a Food Network show Sweet Genius, and was also a judge on the network’s reality competition series, Cake Wars. His specialty and wedding creations are consistently featured in national periodicals, including Martha Stewart Weddings, Brides Magazine and New York Magazine and are also prominently highlighted in books.
- The two characteristics innate in Ron that make him a successful pastry chef
- How Ron’s education in fine art made for an inspirational platform for his career
- Ron shares how he came to love ballet while he was serving in the Israeli military
- Where Ron was when he first began designing artisanal cakes
- How Ron acquired professional pastry chef mentors
- The importance of learning how to develop new skills in person
- The benefits of making new mistakes
- The two necessities that you should prove when managing your business
- The difference between being an artist and providing a creative service
- Ron shares about his experience being on two Food Network TV series
- Ron gives tips on how to truly experience cakes, understand and describe flavors