The Wedding Biz 228: REVISIT: JOSE VILLA/Part 1 – Redefining Success with Fine Art Photography
REVISIT: Jose Villa is a fine art wedding photographer known for crafting vibrant, fine art images that are as unique as the people in the photographs. Jose has been published in many magazines around the world, including Grace Ormonde Wedding Style, Elegant Bride, Instyle Weddings, Inside Weddings, Brides Magazine, Modern Bride, Weddings, Brides, Pacific Weddings, Southern Weddings and many more. Jose has been named a top wedding photographer in Martha Stewart Weddings, Harper’s Bazaar, Style Me Pretty, and Vogue, and was recently listed in the Top 10 Wedding Photographers in the World by American Photo Magazine. Jose was born in Mexico but grew up in Solvang, California. He attended Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, California and is the author of Fine Art Wedding Photography.
- Jose opens up about his parents’ initial reaction to him wanting to be a photographer.
- What motivated Jose initially to take photography classes in high school.
- The one person who helped boost Jose’s confidence as a young photographer.
- How did Jose get his first gig as a wedding photographer?
- Jose defines what fine art photography is when it comes to weddings.
- Why does Jose continue to shoot in film, even after the rise of digital photography?
- The things Jose worries about when waiting for developed film to come back.
- Jose shares the reason candid photos mean so much at a wedding, especially to friends and family.
- Jose believes that a photographer’s presence at a wedding impacts the event as a whole as well as the bride and groom’s wedding day experience.
- What do you do if guests pull out cameras or cell phones during the ceremony?
- Jose shares his to-to gear for shooting weddings in film.
Don’t forget to listen to Andy’s new podcast, The Music Makers. It’s a podcast about behind-the-scenes stories from some of the most influential music industry pros around including artists, recording engineers, record producers, songwriters, managers, record industry executives, and more. You can find The Music Makers podcast by searching for that term in your cell phone’s podcast app or going to www.themusicmakers.com. We are all experiencing quite a bit of stress and other issues during this pandemic. Andy has put together a list of the top ten tips for dealing with stress, which he has compiled from interviews with icons of the wedding and event industry. If you would like a copy, go to www.theweddingbiz.com/toptips.
Links & Resources:
Follow The Wedding Biz on Social: The Wedding Biz The Wedding Biz on Instagram: @theweddingbiz The Wedding Biz on Facebook: @theweddingbiz Title Sponsor: This episode is sponsored by Kushner Entertainment. Support The Wedding Biz by clicking here. Find Jose: Jose Villa Jose’s Book: Fine Art Wedding Photography @jose-villa Facebook @josevillaphoto Pinterest @josevilla Instagram The Man Who Listens To Horses by Monty Roberts