The Wedding Biz – 317: CARRIE GOLDBERG discusses ALEX FITZGIBBONS: Orchestrating The Life And Soul Of A Wedding
Andy welcomes Carrie Goldberg back to The Next Level. Carrie is the Digital Travel & Weddings Editor at Harpers Bazaar, where she oversees all things bridal, weddings, and travel for HarpersBazaar.com. Listen as they discuss how who has the most input in weddings has changed, why Alex doesn’t advertise and how he maintains his client’s privacy by taking people’s phones at high-profile events, plus much more.
Alex is the Managing Director of Fait Accompli out of London, which organizes, plans and designs spectacular events worldwide from A-list to Royal weddings. He is also responsible for the wedding celebration of Ellie Goulding and weddings for the Royal family, including Prince William and Katherine the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince Harry and Megan the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
Listen as Carrie speaks about the weddings Alex designs, the glamping wedding he planned on the grounds of a medieval castle, and how his discretion has earned him the high-profile weddings others seek. They discuss the challenge of keeping guests engaged, with or without their phones, and how 2020 has shown where people place their worth in business and life.
Are you a creative who wants to turn your craft into a business or take it further? Head to the Wedding Biz Network and listen to The Business of Being Creative podcast with Sean Low. Sean discusses the power of being niched, pricing strategies, metrics of success, and so much more.
SUPPORTING THE WEDDING BIZ Become a patron and Andy and the show: For as little as $6 per month, or $0.75 per episode, are you willing to support the industry insights Andy brings on his podcast? If you are so inspired: contribute.
- [00:59] Welcome back to the show, Carrie!
- [01:45] Carrie speaks about the weddings that Alex designs.
- [03:06] Carrie shares how things have changed when giving input into a wedding.
- [05:44] Carrie discusses the wedding Alex orchestrated where the wedding party and guests were glamping on the grounds of a medieval castle.
- [08:16] Carrie chats about discretion and how putting yourself out there is the last thing you should do if you want the high-profile weddings.
- [09:47] All of Alex’s clients come from word of mouth or referrals…he doesn’t need to advertise.
- [12:46] Carrie shares her view on checking in phones at events and how much more engaged they are without the distraction.
- [15:04] Carrie talks about how Alex addresses the challenge of keeping people engaged in the experience when they have their phones.
- [16:45] Carrie discusses how the experience of 2020 shows where people place their worth.
- [18:53] They speak about work-life balance and how it’s been a struggle in the industry.
- [20:05] Thank you for being on the show!
Links & Resources:
Follow The Wedding Biz on Social:
The Wedding Biz on Instagram: @theweddingbiz
The Wedding Biz on Facebook: @theweddingbiz
Title Sponsor: This episode is sponsored by PartySlate – the first website designed specifically for event professionals and venues!
This Week’s Guest Co-Host, Carrie Goldberg. Digital Travel and Weddings Editor at Harper’s Bazaar
Carrie Goldberg Episode 186 on The Wedding Biz