The Wedding Biz – 258: MEGHAN ELY: PR, Getting Published And More!
“Advertising says hey I’m great, PR is when somebody else says you are great.” Listen as Andy and his guest Meghan Ely discuss what this means and how important it is to have the recognition if you are interested in being published. Meghan shares a simple formula that can help you get your name recognized with the media as an expert in your field.
Meghan is the owner of OFD Consulting, an award-winning publicity agency that focuses on the wedding industry and the B2B market. Their client portfolio ranges from top tier planners and venues to well regarded national brands, and industry thought leaders. Meghan is a long time industry speaker and writer, a wedding wire education expert, and is a regular contributor to Wedding Planner Magazine and others.
Listen as Meghan discusses the generational shift, a hot topic in the industry, what it looks like, and who is affected by it. She also talks about transparency with social media, letting potential clients get a sense of who you are, and how technology can free up your time and make life easier.
Andy and Meghan share their insights on setting boundaries around your time to let clients know when you are available but also when you are not. Meghan shares some final thoughts with the listeners and gives us an idea of what the OFD Collection is all about. This is a great conversation with many tidbits you won’t want to miss.
- [02:18] Welcome to the show, Meghan!
- [03:02] Meghan discusses things you can do to get published.
- [05:02] Meghan says to start small, begin in your region, and research the people you need to contact.
- [07:05] Meghan shares a simple formula that will allow you to reach and introduce yourself and share why you are an expert in your field.
- [09:10] If they don’t respond, is it ok to reach back out?
- [11:20] Meghan shares how to respond to the media when they contact you.
- [12:33] Meghan speaks about the generational shift, meeting the needs of the modern wedding couple.
- [15:09] In social media, transparency is number one, tell your story because couples want to know who you are.
- [17:18] Meghan chats about apps that allow you to control your calendar, and clients can book appointments in your open time slots that work for them.
- [19:32] Do you have boundaries around your hours and when you will be available for calls?
- [22:02] Meghan discusses global wedding trends and shares some she sees frequently.
- [25:40] Meghan shares that grazing tables are one of the biggest trends in the catering business this year.
- [28:09] Is there anything else you would like to share with the listeners?
- [28:53] Meghan speaks about the OFD Collective and what it does.
- [30:26] Thank you so much for being on the show!